Sunday, January 2, 2011

‘Fashola administration hasn’t done much for Lagosians’

 
FEMI PEDRO AND GOV. BABATUNDE RAJI FASHOLA

What is the idea behind your campaign slogan, "Has Your Life Really Changed?"
After the 2007 elections, I completely withdrew from the public eye and embarked on a personal quest that entailed traversing the length and breadth of the great state of Lagos. In July 2010, I decided to put together a team of young professionals to help collate data, conduct research, and analyse the effect of the government's policies on the everyday Lagosians. This gave rise to the idea of asking Lagosians the most novel of questions: "Has Your Life Really Changed?"
Interestingly, we observed that the responses by Lagosians were relatively similar, by-and-large. On a superficial level, they felt that the administration was performing well, as it had beautified some parts of Lagos, integrated the BRT buses, and fixed a number of high-brow roads.
However, when we asked for success stories in their individual lives and local communities - stories of how the state government had equipped, empowered and impacted families in ways that led them to be more prosperous - our inquires only drew blank stares and general platitudes.
We finally decided to open the debate up online (on my website www.hasyourlifechanged.com and on my personal Facebook page). We also put up billboards and posters all across Lagos to pursue a more aggressive strategy in getting Lagosians to open up about the challenges they faced on a daily basis by uploading pictures, videos, and comments about the positive and negative effects the administration has had on their lives to the website.
Astonishingly, my campaign team has collated up to 17,500 responses from Lagosians online and offline, and the overriding view is that there is room for improvement.
What, specifically, are the shortcomings you have identified in this present administration?
The administration has had very little impact on the lives of average Lagosians in the overall context of development and in improving the living condition of majority of the people. The critical element to rate this government on is the state's Human Development Index (HDI), which is unfortunately low.
While the government has rehabilitated some roads, beautified the environment, and given the state the closest semblance to tranquility, law and order, the more pertinent questions are: Has my quality of life improved since this administration came in? Has this government impacted positively on my life in the areas of poverty reduction, decent housing and sanitation system, quality education for my children, good roads in and around where I live or work, good health care system, among others?
As the BBC documentaries recently exposed, there is still wide-spread poverty. Very few areas have clean public water supply. Sanitation and proper drainage are still lacking; local inner network of roads are still generally bad; many Lagos schools remain sub-standard; the public health care system is totally inadequate, particularly in low income areas, and the standard and quality of life continue to deteriorate.
You may put all this in proper perspective when you consider that the present state government earns an average of N14 billion naira per-month and in 32 months has earned over N450 billion. This is more than my administration earned in its 96 months in office. The current administration earned over N209 billion in IGR (Internally Generated Revenue) in 2009 and budgeted over N420 billion for this year. In addition, in barely three years, it has borrowed heavily from the bond market and drawn down on loans from the World Bank and others. The question is: Where is all the money? The taxpayers deserve to know how the huge revenue is being spent.
What are you promising Lagosians if elected?
I believe I can create a Lagos environment where the possibilities are endless and the power of ideas and ideals supersede the ‘powers that be'. If I am elected as the governor of Lagos in 2011, a new culture of transparency and accountability to the people will become the order of the day.
Lagosians will not have to worry about their governor mortgaging their future away to some dictate in a back alley somewhere. I will set up a website called the Pedrometer (which) will give Lagosians the opportunity to track the implementation of every single campaign promise I make, and to rate whether or not a promised policy has been implemented.
There will also be monthly publications of how every kobo of government money is expended. This will eliminate the current culture of secrecy-shrouded spending in its entirety.
Which sector of the electorate are you especially hoping to capture?
Although Lagos is cosmopolitan and diverse, it is also interconnected. The middle-aged teacher in Alimosho is invariably affected by the working conditions of the market women in Tejuosho, and the statewide doctors' strike negatively affected the young LASU graduate from Epetedo. I think it is difficult to focus on one particular group of voters without neglecting another sector, so the most important thing is to have a consistent message that can resonate with everyone.
What is your definition of a credible leader?
First and foremost, a credible leader must have the legitimate mandate of the people, which invariably means his emergence as a leader must be the end-product of credible elections. Beyond this, I think a credible leader is one who is willing to accept responsibility for his shortcomings and who inspires people to be the best they can possibly be.
A credible leader is one who submits himself to being held accountable for every single proclamation or promise he makes. Honesty, integrity and humility are some of the qualities of a credible leader in my opinion.
You were once in AC, then Labour Party, and now PDP. Don't you see yourself as a politician who is more interested in power rather than building a credible party base?
It is impossible to live in isolation from other politicians, especially when many of you share the same vision for a greater Lagos. After my debacle with AC, the PDP welcomed me with open arms. There is no question that the perception of the party may not be the greatest in the world, but I can tell you, hand on heart, that there are many within the party who are totally committed to a thriving and prosperous Lagos. This is what informed my decision to join ranks with the party, and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Unfortunately, our politics has not matured to the point where parties are defined ideologically. At the moment, our politicians (at all levels) are either pro-current administration or anti-current administration. It is as simple as that. There is enough blame to go around for this problem, but I firmly believe that it starts and stops with our leaders being held accountable by the electorate for the promises they make.
If you fail to capture the primaries in PDP, do we see you moving to another party?
I have been a card-carrying member of the PDP for about three years. The party welcomed me with open arms and has treated me cordially. I have no reason to pitch my tent elsewhere, and I am committed to contributing my little quota to the growth of the party in Lagos State, the south west, and beyond.
Notwithstanding, I am confident and hopeful that I will be given the opportunity to represent this great party as its governorship candidate in the upcoming general elections.
If you once again fail to capture the governorship seat in 2011, will you recontest in 2015?
After the last elections in 2007, I honestly did not see myself running in 2011. Our politics is very unpredictable and throws a lot of curveballs at you, so I cannot look beyond the current elections. I will present my manifesto and vision for a greater Lagos to the people, and I have no doubt in my mind that our state will be better off for the debate I will engage them in over the next few months.
How close are you to former president Olusegun Obasanjo?
I have a great relationship with Olusegun Obasanjo. Unfortunately, the former president does not get enough credit for his wisdom, foresight, and honesty. He has been very supportive of my ambition, and he is considered a father-figure by quite a number of people - politicians and non-politicians alike.
Who has/have been your mentor(s) in life, especially politics?
Politically, I have always admired the courage, vision, and integrity of the likes of the late Awolowo, Enahoro, and Tafawa Balewa. Their contributions to a united Nigeria cannot be over-emphasised. I continue to nourish and mentor myself with their writings, speeches, and opines because many of the ideals they propagated in the 40s, 50s, and 60s are still relevant in our quest for the attainment of a more prosperous and united Nigeria today.
I am also a big fan of John F. Kennedy and Barack Obama because they represented change agents in times of political uncertainty. They challenged all stereotypes about their electability and impressively won against all odds.


No comments:

Post a Comment