Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wagons & wigs

WORKING IN HEELS: Pietie, Willem and Rollie, dressed down for work, below, and in front of the gabled homestead
Pietie Klaasen is a farm worker on Hazendal, a historic wine farm outside Stellenbosch. He is wearing high-heeled silver sandals, a tinkling charm bracelet and green eye shadow. His two front teeth are missing which puts a crack in his smile.
"Please call me Melanie," he says.
Pietie is an expert on pesticides but his real interest is dressing like a girl and gardening. "Oh, my roses, I love my roses.
"I like wearing jeans with a little makeup during the day but in the evening and over weekends, I go right over the top. If I am doing shopping, I only buy things that are 100% female. When I was little we played farm/farm and I would always want to be the farmer's wife."
Pietie says his stepmother accepts it but his father can't get used to the idea.
Rollie Steenkamp, is tiny in pink trousers, teetering heels and a tartan scarf draped artfully round his shoulders. He prefers to be called Natalie.

Read more :  http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle/article719936.ece/Wagons--amp--wigs

No comments:

Post a Comment